Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Mountain

Grandpa Nichols' family owns a cattle and sheep ranch in the mountains above Grand Junction, CO. Grandpa grew up living there for the summers, and for his 70th birthday couldn't think of a better place for a family reunion. Now, we understand why!

I don't know how well we captured this moment. The boys started making gang signs and shouting at a passing group of cattle. I don't know if any rocks were thrown, but the whole herd turned at once and stared them down. The big black one in front is a bull. They managed to escape without incident. Also, Aly was reading The Omnivore's Dilemma on the trip, and now she is buying a quarter of one of these grass-fed cows. Seriously.


To quote a famous Old Spice commercial, "I'm on a horse." First time.


Mother and daughter on horseback. We kept running these poor horses up this one hill. They finally rebelled and refused to go back up.

Spencer looking contemplative at the shore.

First of many fish caught that day. Spencer and Ashley got pretty good at cleaning the fish. Aly did not have the killer instinct, and could not take a knife to a fish. Grandma fried them for us.

It was just a beautiful place up there. We snapped a photo as the sun was going down. I don't know why we are holding these antlers.

Spencer, about to be gutted and cleaned. We all thought it was fun to take turns getting strung up.



This reminds me of the Lord of the Rings. Just something about a man and a midget on a horse.

Aly looks like a tough pioneer woman with her combination skirt and shotgun. Beautiful place. Great time with the family. Excellent trip.

2 comments:

Alex said...

I can't believe you guys were in Colorado and didn't even come to see us! (So what if Grand Junction is a 4 hour driver from where we are?). Are you guys already in AZ? Where are you living? We are going to be down for a wedding probably in October, and then Again at Christmas. We'll have to get together for a Lunch or Dinner or something.

Amanda and William said...

This place is so beautiful- I really like that Grandpa of yours.