I made this for Camilla's luncheon for Lucy and everyone seemed to like it- so here is the recipe. Enjoy!
Nordstrom Summer Tomato and Basil Soup
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
5 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 T dried basil
3 cans (28 oz. each) whole Italian-style tomatoes in puree
1 can (14 ½ oz.) low-sodium chicken broth
2 cups heavy whipping cream
kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper
2 T. lightly packed fresh basil leaves, cut into ribbons
In a 6 to 8 quart saucepan over medium heat, warm the oil and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan.
Add the carrots, onion, and dried basil and sauté, stirring occasionally, until softened, 10 to 12 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, including the puree, and the broth and bring just to a boil.
Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered for 20 minutes to blend the flavors. Remove from heat.
Puree the soup in the saucepan using a wand type immersion blender (this is what I did – the other way seemed like a pain) or working in batches, puree the soup in a blender or a food processor fitted with the metal blade.
Return the pureed soup to the saucepan, add the cream, and place over medium heat. Warm until heated through. Season with salt and pepper.
Ladle the soup into a warmed soup tureen or individual bowls, garnish with the basil and serve immediately
2 comments:
I would love to try to make this, but unfortunately I am way too lazy. But when you become super famous and I can buy it in a delicious can, I will purchase multiple cans.
yum that sounds delicious! I will have to try it sometime!
Post a Comment